SILICA DUST ACTION PLAN
WorkHealth and Safety reforms for
silica dust are being developed for
introduction in the ACT in 2022. Please follow the link bellow for detailed information.
Safety alert: Moulds and indoor air-contaminants
WorkSafe ACT has recently observed significant black mould contamination at a Canberra workplace.
WorkSafe ACT reminds all persons conducting a business or undertaking (PCBUs) to identify and manage all risks to health and safety in the work environment, including exposure to mould and indoor-air contaminants.
Where you have identified mould at your workplace you should:
- regularly clean your workplace, particularly in places that are prone to mould
- fix water leaks and keep rain gutters clean and clear so they do not get blocked
- ensure the workplace buildings and roof are well maintained to avoid animals, such as possums, entering the building or roof spaces
- ensure there is adequate ventilation throughout the workplace, including in cupboards and areas that may not be regularly entered, and
- consider installing a de-humidifier in areas with high humidity to reduce mould growth.
- For more information
SAFETY ALERT: LADDER SAFETY
Falling from a ladder has been identified as one of the most common causes of injury. Every year, WorkSafe ACT receives serious incidents about workers falling from ladders.
- Understand that anyone using a ladder is at risk, regardless of the ladder height. Only use ladders for simple access jobs and for a short duration. It’s best to work from ground level whenever possible.
- Follow the link
WorkSafe ACT launches its Strategy to Prevent Musculoskeletal Disorders
Did you know that in the ACT, 57% of all accepted private sector workers’ compensation claims lodged between 2017-2018 and 2020-21 were for Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs)?
WorkSafe ACT has launched its Strategy to Prevent Musculoskeletal Disorders.
The key objectives of the Strategy are:
Compliance and enforcement data is live now!
WorkSafe ACT is committed to keeping Canberrans safe and productive at work.
The snapshots provide monthly data on:
- the number of workplace visits
- the number infringement, prohibition and improvement notices issued and the key breaches they were issued against
- workers’ compensation activities, and
- labour hire licensing activities
The 2021 Outstanding Graduating Apprentice and Encouragement Awards were held on Thursday 3rd February 2022. You can listen to Interviews (HERE).
WorkSafe ACT Launches new Young Workers Strategy
WorkSafe ACT is making sure young workers will be better protected against exploitation and injury through the development of the inaugural Young Workers Strategy 2021-2023.
Work-related mental health
Mental (psychological) health, just like physical health, is an important part of work health and safety (WHS). Understanding and managing risks in the workplace that may lead to physical or psychological injury creates a safe, healthy and productive workplace.
The Luncheon was held on Thursday, with great success. Some of the moments captured.
The 2021 Outstanding Graduating Apprentice and Industry Encouragement Awards were a great success.