Trade Assistant

Trade Assistant Icon
Anyone who works on a construction site in the ACT must have an Industry OH&S Induction card (White Card) and the Asbestos Awareness Certificate.  

It can cost up to $500 and take a maximum of 6 hours training to get your White Card, and up to $500 and a maximum of 4 hours training to get your Asbestos Awareness Certificate.

There are a number of RTOs in the ACT that deliver White Card and Asbestos Awareness Training.

To work as a Construction Worker, Builders Labourer or Trade Assistant you need to have the following personal qualities:

  • be physically fit
  • enjoy practical and outdoor work
  • be able to work as part of a team
  • follow precise directions
  • work in various weather conditions
  • be able to work at a constant pace

Some occupations have additional requirements that may be specific to the type of work being carried out. You will need to check the individual job descriptions.

There are no minimum education requirements to become a Trade Assistant.

Types of jobs you can do as a Trade Assistant.

To work on a construction site in the ACT you also need to have a valid work permit and be eligible to work in Australia. For more information about work permits and visa’s visit